Termux app is an Android application that provides a Linux and terminal emulator environment in an Android device. It works for both rooted and unrooted Android devices. It is one of the most important applications for running Linux commands on an Android platform.
However, there is no direct Termux application for Windows or Mac devices. This is because the app is primarily intended to be operated on an Android platform. To run it on the two platforms, one requires to install an Android emulator (player) on your Windows or Mac PC. The following is a detailed procedure on how to install and run the Termux app on Mac or Windows.
1.Computer running Windows or Mac pc with a minimum of the following:
• Windows XP SP3 or higher
• At least 2GB RAM
• At least 4GB internal memory
• Updated drivers and Pc graphics ( required for the pc to run BlueStacks emulator)
2. Stable internet connection
3. Google account
Now we are set for the next step.
Installing BlueStacks Android Emulator on Windows/Mac
• Visit www.bluestacks.com from your PC browser
• Click on the download button and the website automatically detects whether its Windows or Mac
• Download the .exe setup file and run it as the administrator
• Click next and agree on the terms and conditions
• This will install the BlueStacks Android emulator and you are set for the next step.
It’s worth noting that BlueStacks downloaded is a trial version and you have to purchase the full version. However, you can keep using it for free by watching video advertisements and installing the apps they are promoting.
Installing Termux on Bluestacks
There are two ways through which one can install the Termux app on the BlueStacks;
a. Using the Google play store available on BlueStacks
b. Directly installing Termux from an apk file pre-downloaded on the PC.
A. Using the Play store
• Launch the BlueStacks app and navigate to the shop icon
• Click on it and you will be prompted to add a Google account
• Input a valid Google email and password and click on next to open Google play store
• On the search tab, type Termux and click enter to search
• Click on the first app on the list. Make sure the developer is Fredrik Fornwall to avoid downloading fake apps.
• Click on install and wait for the app to install.
That’s it, you have successfully installed Termux from the play store.
B. Directly from PC
Sometimes we want to avoid logging in with Google account on BlueStacks. This is because it can cause one to be charged especially if you have already added payment options to Google play store. The good news is there are many websites from which one can download the Termux apk file. The following are some reliable links one can use to download the apk file; https://apkpure.com/termux/com.termux, https://termux.en.uptodown.com/android, https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/fredrik-fornwall/termux/.
Once you have downloaded the termux file to your computer;
• Double click on it and it will automatically launch BlueStacks and prompt you to install.
• If it fails to do so, right-click on the apk file and then go to open with, from here you can select BlueStacks and proceed with the installation.
• Alternatively, drag and drop the apk file to the main tab of BlueStacks and it will automatically prompt you to install.
The main drawback of downloading the Termux app from third-party websites is you may end up with an older version of the app which may not support the commands you want to run on your device. You also have to manually update the app when a new version becomes available. You may also download a virus so it’s always advisable to keep your firewall on and up to date.
After installation, one can add several features by means of the following add-ons;
• Termux: API- this add-on exposes the functionality of the device as API to commands, programs or scripts.
• Termux: boot- this addon normally runs scripts when the device boot
• Termux: float- enables the user to run Termux on a floating window overlaying other apps
• Termux: styling- this addon is useful when it comes to customization of Termux. It contains different colors and fonts enabling one to tweak the appearance to fit their preference
• Termux: task – enables the user to run scripts from tasker
• Termux widget. It provides a means of running small scripts on the home screen
All these add-ons are available on Google play store and from the earlier mentioned websites. Detailed explanation on how to install and use the add-ons can be found at https://wiki.termux.com/wiki/Main_Page.
That’s how you can install Termux app on your Mac or Windows computer.
Read Also: JuiceSSH Client for PC